Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Conquering the Knit

Despite many years of sewing experience, I have always shy-ed away from working with knit.  But as I get ready to face my first classes in the upcoming fashion design certificate program, I've been trying to experiment with it.  My first project a DVF-style wrapdress turned out surprisingly well.

So when I found a sweatshirt fabric that I liked, I was no longer afraid.  I had a few ideas of what I wanted, but on an impulse, steered away from the tunic I'd envisioned and went with the "tried and true" wrap style.  Or at least I THOUGHT it was tried and true.  Afterall, it works with dresses, blouses, sweaters...

And I can't quite figure out why, but I regret that choice.  It fits great, is a form flattering style on me, and allows room for an extra bow - my favorite.  Yet there is something wrong about it.
It comes across to me as rather hip-hop.  And the only reason I can imagine for that is its form fitting nature.  In itself, the shirt is not too tight, but the way I see it being worn - skinny jeans and layered tank tops - adds up to a just too much.  So I'll have to try it when the weather cools down a little and see if I still feel the same.
And if I do, it just gives me a chance to make it something I really DO like.  Because I'm not much of a sweatshirt girl currently, but given the right, flattering style, I think I could be convinced.

So my second knit project did not go how I wanted it to, but that is not a result of my skill, but rather my design idea.  It'll teach me to slow down a little.  Which is a lesson I could definitely use.

No comments:

Post a Comment